4–24 November 2019
DESIGN Canberra is calling for projects for the 2019 festival that celebrate and promote Canberra as a living design laboratory, a global city of design.
DESIGN Canberra has resonated with ever-increasing audiences near and far because design is in our city’s DNA. DESIGN Canberra is a powerful platform to promote design and the work of designers. Presented annually since 2014, DESIGN Canberra has grown to embrace a regional and global focus, becoming a critical and collaborative forum for contemporary, relevant, experimental and authentic design.
DESIGN Canberra is also the ACT’s fastest growing festival. 2018 was an amazing year of growth, inspiration, excellence and engagement – a result of creative collaborations and strategic partnerships with Canberra’s craft and design sector and the broader community. In 2018, over 112,000 people engaged with the festival’s curated program of exhibitions, talks, tours, collaborations, open homes and artist studios, activations and markets showcasing the best in design.
LIVING ROOMS: Architecture + design + craft = an open home with a difference.
As part of DESIGN Canberra 2019, explore the living rooms of acclaimed Canberra houses and discover pop-up exhibitions with works on sale by local artists, makers and craft practitioners. Enjoy a progressive exhibition as you take in the beauty of design in our own backyard.
Living Rooms is DESIGN Canberra’s showcase of the best architect-designed houses in Canberra which offer an insight into different housing typologies, showing firsthand the impact of good design on day-to-day living.
Each open home will have a specially curated pop-up exhibition of work by emerging designers and craft practitioners; typically in dining rooms or on kitchen benches, with work on display for sale to the public. These artists are Craft ACT members.
Not a member? Join today!
Opening homes to the public on each Sunday of the festival, Living Rooms shines the light on the value of engaging an architect and celebrates architecture, design and craft in Canberra. We are calling out for architecturally designed or renovated homes to feature in the 2019 Living Rooms program.
- Is designed by an architect or features a renovation by an architect
- Demonstrates design excellence which enhance people’s health and wellbeing and provides a sense of delight.
- Ideally located in the inner North or South of Canberra.
The Owner / Architect is:
- Willing and able to be open to the general public for between 1-2 hours on one Sunday during the festival – either 10, 17 or 24 November. Opening date and time will be confirmed closer to the festival.
- Willing to open the main living areas of the home to the public. Other areas, such as bedrooms and bathrooms, do not need to be open to the public. A request for guests to remove their shoes can also be specified.
- Willing and able to host a pop-up exhibition of a craft artist or designer within the home on the open day. The exhibition will be curated to be in sympathy with the home and at a manageable scale.
- The owner and/or architect will identify and remove, or address, any hazards prior to opening.
- Willing to promote their involvement in the Living Rooms program through their networks.
The Architect is:
- Present during the opening of the home and willing to engage with the public about design.
- Willing to complete a Project Description pro-forma and provide high quality images of the project for use in the Promotional Flyer.
DESIGN Canberra's Role
DESIGN Canberra will curate, manage and promote the Living Rooms program.
Specifically this includes the selection of houses and pop-up exhibitions for inclusion in the program, tailor the pop-up exhibition for each house, nominating the open house dates and times, liaising between all the participants and promoting the Living Rooms through the festival’s marketing campaign.
DESIGN Canberra will provide:
- An “on-the-day checklist” for owners / architects
- Curators who will ‘bump in and bump out’ the pop-up exhibitions, in consultation with the owner.
- Volunteers who will provide a moveable sign for placing on the verge, greet the public and hand out festival programs, survey and flyers.
- A Promotional Flyer for each house.
- A detailed risk management plan
Living Rooms is proudly supported by home. by holly (Holly Komorowski) and Rolfe Classic BMW. Holly will welcome visitors as they arrive, and BMW may display a car in the driveway which aligns with the architecture of the house.
A Participation Fee of $250.00 (incl. GST) for AIA members and $500 (incl. GST) for non-members, which contributes to the costs of managing, resourcing and promoting the Living Room program, is payable in full to Craft ACT within 21 days of acceptance of an offer to participate. It is non-refundable. Payment of fees confirms participation and promotion in DESIGN Canberra.
Selection Process & Program
DESIGN Canberra will call for Expressions of Interest from architects or owners. Houses that best contribute to aims of the Living Rooms program will be invited to confirm their participation in the program, with payment of the Participation Fee due within 21 days of acceptance.
DESIGN Canberra will contact participants in early October to facilitate preparations for the open houses.
DESIGN Canberra festival is from the 4 to 24 November 2019